Lawrence

Lawrence
My favorite hiking shirt

Sunday, March 29, 2015

Prayer

I wrote this post long before my partner's death. I don' think I believe it any more. I consider myself a serious agnostic and believe the religions of the world are ignorant, dangerous, distractions. They are often based on some book, which they believe to be the word of god: the bible, the koran, the book of morman etc.. I come to this conclusion by painful experience with religions and those who believe in them. I am not an atheist because that seems to me to be as unscientific as theism. In other words: who knows?

All my life I have experienced an occasional, overwhelming, emotional state which I call prayer. It only occurs when I am absolutely desperate and in great need. I have no control over when it comes, or where I am at the time. I feel like I am uncontrollably swept away, I do not have any words, only deep groans and crys. When this state comes over me I try to be alone. Occasionally someone has been with me. They always become alarmed and want to get medical help. Outwardly I must seem to be in great pain. I try to reassure them that I am all right but, I can't speak. It seems to be what might be called a trance.

Whatever it is I absolutely know, at the time, that someone is listening and understanding. Something always changes after this experience. A situation may be resolved or my attitude may change. In any event I feel like I have been heard.

Lately I have learned that these episodes were not uncommon in the ancient world.

The Oracle of Delphi of ancient Greece

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

Oh wow......Larry Dean...I have no idea if you'll remember me at all, but I knew you way back in 1985-6 at DLS HS...This being online, I hate to put my full name out there, even though my last name is different now....but this is Kathleen L., if you do remember me. I spent the last period of the day learning physics from you because I just didn't really have space for the regular class in my schedule. I know we didn't always talk about physics...we veered into politics and all sorts of other topics.

I've tried finding you off and on over the years to catch up a bit, but you were not easy to find! LOL Then tonight I ran across your LinkedIn profile tonight, which led me here....and I found your post on being a serious agnostic interesting....I consider myself an agnostic as well...and I"ve said the same thing about being atheist...how can I possible declare god doesn't exist any more than I'd say he does? Truly not knowable.

I"m not sure how this blog works..if it will email you that you've got a message, or email me like I've asked it to if anyone responds here...but by all means email me if you'd like to catch up more. You are one of the teachers I recall from high school the most...this email is anothermathkat@gmail.com